Mastercard Maximizes User Experience with Augmented Reality
At the beginning of January Mastercard unveiled a new augmented reality (AR) app that lets cardholders see, explore and access the benefits of their Mastercard.
The payment-giant Mastercard informed the public about its brand new solution in a pressrelease. The industry-first card benefits app delivers a photorealistic AR experience that transports users to a 360-degree virtual environment, where a series of interactive portals brings their card benefits to life.
According to the J.D. Power 2018 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction StudySM, rewards continue to drive consumer satisfaction with cards, yet only a third of credit card holders completely understand all the benefits available to them.
How it works:
- Upon launching the app, cardholders will be prompted to scan their Mastercard to start the session.
- Using their phone to scan the area around them, cardholders will see three portals, each one representing one of the three categories that Mastercard benefits fall into: Experiences, Everyday Valueand Peace of Mind.
- To explore a benefit area, cardholders can tap the related portal to launch a fully immersive 360-degree experience which brings that area to life. For example, Peace of Mindis represented by a spa, and Everyday Value is a stylish home.
- Once inside, cardholders can use their phone to look around the virtual room and discover their benefits – each represented by a relevant item. For example, tapping on a set of golf clubs prompts a pop-up screen where a user can learn about, and access, their Priceless Golf benefits.
- When finished exploring, users can simply tap to exit the portal turn.